Saturday 12 April 2014

Book review: The Fault In Our Stars

Hello all you fabulous people, who have chose to actually look at my blog :)
It seems quite stupid to be writing this post such a long time after this book has been released, however, I know there are many people out there, still yet to read the emotional rollercoaster that is The Fault In Our Stars. In this post I will share my review of the brilliant work of John Green, a writer who I am in complete adoration of (I seem to be in complete adoration of a lot of things) as he completely understands the average teenager's thought process. 

~ I'm also going to apologise in advance if any of my review has any spoilers, I aim to not ruin any elements of the book before you choose to read it

My review:
If ever I'm asked what my favourite book is, without even thinking I will say The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. There is no doubt that I am completely in love with this book. To say it entails a rollercoaster of emotions is an understatement, there's the heartwarming highs and the gut wrenching lows, Green has created a world in which details the harsh reality of cancer and the brilliance of finding true love. 

Many people who have never read the book, will have heard quite often that the book is "two teenage cancer sufferers finding love" however, cancer is the side effect, as highlighted in the book "cancer is a side effect of dying". It is personal and touching, the finest of details matter to such a book that deserves so much recognition. It is definitely a book to read with a box of tissues at the ready, as the characters of Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster are brought to life and become a part of reality. It is easy to care for each character as they are all significant to the story and depict the reality of such situations in a realistic way.

The book itself has many iconic quotes, Green has drew inspiration from the quote "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves" from Shakespeare's play, Julius Ceaser. For me, it was a book which I read within a matter of days, I just could not put it down, it gripped my heart from beginning to end. It is hard to pick out any points in the book which disappointed me, I felt there wasn't any. Although there is one major part of the plot, which I will not disclose, as I don't want to spoil the plot, but lets just say it broke my heart.

I would recommend this book to someone who is particularly into romance, or stories which depict the harsh reality of the life and the unfortunate situations of which many people encounter. I would say that girl or boy, man or woman, who are over the age of 14 would appreciate this book (this is just my suggestion and if you are younger you may too enjoy the brilliant work of John Green). I would also suggest that if you are planning on watching this book evolve onto the big screen, when it comes out in June of this year, that you read the book first, in order to fully appreciate the story.

My rating out of five: ★★★★★

Thank you for taking your time to read this post, I hope this review was useful to you. Please stay with me for my future posts

Follow me on:
Instagram - @perksofgemma_
Twitter - @Gemm96
I promise to follow back

No comments:

Post a Comment