Thursday 17 April 2014

Getting ready for exams

Well, this week has been a very hard week for me, as my study leave period begins in preparation for my final exams. So daunting and quite a bit emotional, I cried in our last assembly, oops.

It's been a tough week, mostly because I now have to find a way to divide my time in a way which will be most beneficial to me and prepare me best for my exams in May. I know many people are going to be going through similar issues at the moment, so in this post I will include some of my top tips to try and help those who may be struggling to find a technique which works. 

Tip number 1:
- Begin by writing down any deadlines and the order in which you will doing your exams, this will be useful as a daily reminder of what you will be expecting during exam session and what you may need to focus your revision on, in terms of what exam is first.

Tip number 2:
- Attend any extra revision classes which your school may put in place, during your own study leave. If they are not, why not try setting up your own revision session with your friends, here you can exchange notes, things to expect in the exams, be reminded of key themes/people/events which you may have forgotten. 

Tip number 3:
- Make up your own exam questions. Sometimes it is good to think like an examiner, as they will be marking your answers with a certain expectation, it is good to understand the mark scheme and where you can also pick up easy marks.

Tip number 4:
- Make a revision timetable, day by day. Make sure on this timetable you do not exceed long times of revising and give yourself regular breaks. There is nothing worse than sitting and staring at a book with nothing going in, because you haven't moved from the same spot in 3 hours. 

Tip number 5:
- It may look like clutter, but revision notes on posters are a good way to be constantly reminded of important information. For instance, when I was revising for my GCSE History exam, I felt that dates/years were not my strongest subject, so I created a timeline which went along my wall, so every time I looked up I would see that information.

Tip number 6:
- It's important to take time out for yourself. When you know you have hit the point of no information going in, cool it for a couple of hours, watch a film and let your brain relax. You will find once you go back to your revision you will feel more refreshed and ready to pick up where you left. 

Tip number 7:
- Reward yourself, only you can set your own goals. It's important recognise in yourself how far you've come.

I hope this has been useful, thank you for reading and good luck to those with their exams soon :-) 

Follow me on:
Instagram - @perksofgemma_
Twitter - @Gemm96
I promise to follow back ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment