Saturday 19 April 2014

Dye time

Hello again :-) So, as previously mentioned in my Beauty Favourites post, I am in the process of dying my hair from light brown to dark blonde. In this post I'm going to tell you about the hair dyes which I have used and which brand I would recommend the most.

L'Oreal Wild Ombrés
At a young age, I was quite the goldilocks, it wasn't till I was about 3 when my hair started to naturally change colour, as I've grown up it has continued to be a light brown colour with some natural highlights. However, last January I felt like a bit of change was needed, so I decided to ombré my hair. At first I was quite nervous, because I had never dyed my hair before so it was quite a daunting process for me, especially when it involved bleach. To ombré my hair, I purchased the L'Oreal Wild Ombrés kit in the shade No2, a kit I would very much recommend as there are several colours to match your hair too. The kit itself comes with a brush to comb the product through the ends of your hair, a tool which made the process so much easier. This product was fabulous and fit it's purpose, despite the undeniably strong smell of bleach. After a couple of months I grew tired of the blonde ends, which had actually started to fade and sometimes resembled a ginger colour rather than blonde in pictures. As I didn't want to just cut my ends off, I allowed my hair to grow and progressively had my ends chopped off. However, I would strongly recommend this kit for anyone looking to ombré their hair and if you are to keep with the colour, it may well be a good idea to go over your
ombré again.

L'Oreal Sublime Mousse
Some of the still blonde remained after many haircuts and as I grew more tired of it, I felt that it would just be easier to dye all of my hair. So I opted for a similar colour to my natural hair colour, to do this I used L'Oreal Sublime Mousse in the colour Very Light Brown. Quick and easy to apply with very little mess, definitely a product I would recommend as the colour took well. When my roots started to show I chose to dye my hair again with the colour Radiant Golden Brown, again a colour by L'Oreal Sublime Mousse. This colour had an amazing tone to it and I was very happy with the life it brought to my hair colour. Like the Wild Ombré Kit, it had a strong smell, however the fact that it was not messy and stressful completely made up for the overwhelming smell. The brilliant things about these kits are not only do they have a wide range of colours, but they also come with a conditioner, which I can honestly say works wonders on your hair after it has been dyed and becomes dried out. 

John Frieda Precision Foam
Most recently, I have been in the process of dying my hair from a light brown to dark blonde, to achieve this I purchased John Frieda Precision Foam in the colour Natural Dark Blonde, however, due to the colour already on my hair it means I still have to keep working on getting it to my desired colour. Nevertheless, John Frieda products are amazing, they take so well and the smell of hair dye does not last for a couple of days unlike the previous products mentioned. Alike to L'Oreal hair dyes, the John Frieda hair dye kits come with a conditioner too, I found that I personally preferred the conditioner in the L'Oreal kits to the John Frieda kit, however it still did it's job of locking in the colour. This hair dye took well to my hair and despite the length and thickness of my hair, I, personally, only needed one bottle to cover all my hair. Although, in some shops this product is expensive it is well worth it's money as it is so quick and easy to apply, this product can be found on offer throughout the year, so it is always good to look out for an offer.

My verdict
In my opinion and from my experience, I've found that mousse hair dyes take better to your hair, as it soaks in making sure all hair is covered and coloured. Out of L'Oreal Sublime Mousse and John Frieda Precision Foam, I would recommend John Frieda, as there is less of an overwhelming smell and there is quite a large range of colours to choose from. A top tip which my mum told me for when dying hair is "when finished applying hair dye, make sure you're in a warm room and put a plastic bag over your hair in order to keep the hair dye warm". I would also recommend that after dying your hair, you take good care of it's condition, as it will become dry and look damaged, by applying something like Moroccan oil or Argon oil can bring back life to dead ends *check out my previous blog post 'Beauty Favourites' where I review Pantene's Argon Oil*

I hope this review of the hair dyes, which I have used, is helpful to others. If you have any questions please feel free to leave them in the comment section below and I will answer them. Thank you for reading and Happy Easter to everyone :-)

Follow me on:
Instagram - @perksofgemma_
Twitter - @Gemm96
I promise to follow back ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment